Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 10:20:37 EDT

At 09:31 PM 5/16/2007, David Buller wrote:

>On 5/16/07, Carol or John Burgeson
><<mailto:burgytwo@juno.com>burgytwo@juno.com> wrote:
>George (who, like Terry and others on this list who make me think) noted:
>
>"1) It may be that "event or process?" is a false dichotomy. In
>discussing the origin of consciousness (& perhaps by implication
>"soul"), Teilhard suggested the metaphor of a phase change. Heating
>a pan of water is a continuous process - the temperature of the
>liquid rises gradually. But when it reaches 100 C there's an abrupt
>qualitative change from liquid to vapor. "
>
>This analogy may be helpful in visualization, but it does not seem
>to solve the problem. On the macro scale, melting or vaporization
>appear to be an "event."But on the micro side, (to the individual
>H2O molecule, it is just part of the process.
>

>Which is exactly why I took the position that it was an event and a
>process. I think the "phase change analogy" is a great one for this
>very reason.
>
>-David Buller

@ Speaking of an event and a process, here's a perspective that some
will find interesting:

"...Our preparation for extrauterine life takes place under
circumstances that are quite different from those that will later
prevail. From the vantage point of the fetus, intrauterine life
appears to be a "thing unto itself," and yet, it is actually pointing
toward something beyond itself. The fetus cannot know that its
intrauterine existence is actually a preparation for the "big event,"
which always comes as a bewildering and disorienting shock.

In this regard, our physical birth is not only a transition but a
death, as are all births. It is the stark end of one way of life and
the beginning of another. The navel is a reminder that we were once
directly connected to the source of life, whereas now we must
tolerate being separate from it and renegotiate a relationship with
it. In fact, the key to early parenting is to try to foster the
conditions of intrauterine life in order to ease the transition and
make it less traumatic. Even though the baby has left the physical
womb, he remains -- or should remain -- in an external one -- a womb
with a view -- for some time, so that psychological "hatching" will
gradually take place over many months.

Following the method of cosmic analogy -- as above, so below -- what
can birth tell us about the spiritual life? It is interesting, is it
not, that Christianity is so permeated with the archetypal
iconography of womb and of birth? "Virgin," "word," "conception,"
"pregnant," "child of the Holy Spirit," the name "Immanuel," which
means "God with us." Each of these has a deeply resonant archetypal
meaning for the spiritual life.

Just like intrauterine life, extrauterine life is not merely a
thing-in-itself but a preparation for something else. It too has a
trajectory that points to its own end, although that end will come
like a thief in the night and no one knows the hour or day. All the
more reason not to waste time -- to work while it is Day, for the
Night will come when no man can work.

Time is all we have in this life, and to waste time is to waste
eternity. The First Thing -- all else pales in significance -- is
naturally to avoid being an astral abortion. Odd, but there are
abortionists everywhere who will eagerly help you end your pregnancy.
If this happens, you will continue "living," but in the manner of a
spiritual stillborn or "existentialist" whose existence does not
point beyond itself. For what has specifically been aborted is
essence from existence -- or spiritual seed from the womb of time.

While men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and
went his way.

Now, just as our physical body bears the scar of its incompleteness
and separation, so too does our soul bears its own version of this.
For it also has a "hole" at its center that we may spend our lives
trying to fill in inappropriate and ultimately fruitless ways. But
the hole is there for a reason. It is actually a theocentric hole,
and there is no way to fill it unless one is properly oriented to the
source of our being. We are connected to the source of our being by a
vertical channel through which energies pass up and down -- we call
these energies aspiration and grace.

How to find that I-ambilical cord through which we are spiritually
nourished? Everyone is looking for it, and there are countless
Spiritual Salesmen who will claim they can sell you one. But each of
us must find the path of access that leads to the way: For whoever
has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but
whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.

In other words, He who received seed on the good ground is he who
hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and
produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

We are either in the wilderness or on the path. But once on the path,
there is no turning back. One cannot return to the wilderness but
must continue pushing onward. In other words, you cannot be a little
bit pregnant: Whoever has put his hand to the plough and then looks
back is not fit for the kingdom of God. .."

Navel-Gazing at our I-ambilical
Cord - 2/15/07 http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/search?q=name+it+and+claim+it

~ Janice