Re: [asa] pursuing objectivity in the classroom (Global W.)

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 08:51:27 EDT

@ Here are my tips:

#1 - I suggest that they first need to find out
just who is qualified to speak on various
scientific subjects, so that they'll know how to
make their "short list". It will help if you
have them read this: http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200705/0550.html

#2 - Using their short list, they then should
eliminate, or assign less weight to, the names
on the list that work for government entities of
any kind, or stand to gain (promotions/grants)
from toeing "the party line" (consensus) /
embracing the "conventional wisdom" / embracing the latest "pop-culture fad".

#3 - They should also know this [excerpted from
my link below]: "We are also working on
documenting the exclusion of peer reviewed papers
in the WG1 report which differ from their
conclusions. Our analysis so far indicates that
they failed to be inclusive on the citation of
important climate change science."

And this (which relates to tip #1): "There are
also ___only a relatively few climate
scientists___ who actually wrote the WG1 report;
see
<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/03/09/how-many-climate-scientists-were-involved-with-writing-the-2007-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers/>How
Many Climate Scientists Were Involved With
Writing the 2007 IPCC Statement For Policymakers?

More: http://climatesci.colorado.edu/

Has The IPCC Produced A Hydra?

Comments:
http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/05/07/what-hydra-has-the-ipcc-unleased/#comments

Comment #8 Fergus - Thank you as usual for your excellent comments.
With respect to your question, the IPCC WG1
report has several clear errors. I have weblogged on these;

<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/03/10/scitizen-column-published-entitled-scientific-errors-with-the-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers/>Scitizen

<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/03/05/an-error-in-the-2007-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers-on-the-2005-global-average-radiative-forcing/>An

<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/02/15/science-errors-or-at-best-cherrypicking-in-the-2007-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers/>Several

<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/03/09/how-many-climate-scientists-were-involved-with-writing-the-2007-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers/>How<http://climatesci.colorado.edu/2007/03/09/how-many-climate-scientists-were-involved-with-writing-the-2007-ipcc-statement-for-policymakers/>
Many Climate Scientists Were Involved With
Writing the 2007 IPCC Statement For Policymakers?
Comment by
<http://cires.colorado.edu/science/groups/pielke/>Roger
Pielke Sr. May 8, 2007 @ 7:24 am
~ Janice