Re: [asa] Ayala: Darwin's Gift: To Science and Religion

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 08:02:17 EDT

Thanks for this information. I think that Francisco Ayala is a gifted writer
who is able lay out complex topics with clarity. His 1998 exposition of
biological evolution, "The Evolution of Life: An Overview," is slightly
outdated in the sense that he published it before all of the work that has
been done subsequently in the field of genomics, but it is still a very
solid and useful exposition. It's published in _Evolutionary and Molecular
Biology: Scientific Perspectives on Divine Action_, edited by Bob Russell,
William Stoetger, and Ayala, and is reprinted, with omissions and slight
modifications as "Biological Evolution: An Introduction," in _An Evolving
Dialogue: Theological and Scientific Perspectives On Evolution_ (2001),
edited by Jim Miller. I was someone disappointed, however, in his slight
book, _Darwin and Intelligent Design_ (2006), which I thought needed a more
extensive analysis of ID.

I've heard Ayala lecture twice at Templeton Workshops. The most intriguing
paper was on internal design in organisms. His ideas are captured in his
article "Darwin and the Teleology of Nature," published in a collection of
papers edited by Jack Haught: _Science and Religion in Search of Cosmic
Purpose_ (2000).

Bob Schneider