Re: [asa] pursuing objectivity in the classroom (Global W.)

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 21:35:36 EDT

There's no such thing as truly objective but the closest we can probably get
is the technical summary of the IPCC. This differs from the summary for
policy makers (SPM) in that the politicians didn't touch this report. But
don't stop there. Inside the report are markers of confidence of how certain
the scientists believe they are correct. This is not merely a "gut feel"
kind of indication of confidence but rather an indication of the "error
bars" in the measurements. Only take the high confidence and very high
confidence statements for granted. Or alternatively you can take the medium
confidence as areas where the case really isn't closed and more work needs
to be done. A particular example that could be used as an exercise is the
issue of determining sea level rise (Chapter 4). Your students can compare
this against the "true believers" and the "skeptics" and see how well their
respective positions can be supported. It's also a helpful exercise in
decision making when there is large amounts of uncertainty. This report can
be found here:

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/wg1-report.html
The technical summary is here:
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_TS.pdf

There's also a very good FAQ here:
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_FAQs.pdf

Chapter 8-9 are especially helpful so that you can see how the climate
models are evaluated and how the root causes of climate change are
attributed. They can apply what's seen here and determine if for example you
can attribute the recent climate change to solar irradiance or anthropogenic
CO2.. Your students can also look to see if there are any methodological
flaws here. They could also run down the thousands of footnotes, etc. etc.