Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 18:00:25 EDT

Note that the way this statement is written it is either (A) incompatible with Christianity, or (B) meaningless. We must pick one and only one of these two options:

A. If we consider everything that happens in nature to be a natural phenomenon then the statement's definition of methodological naturalism would exclude the Resurrection of Christ from being caused by a supernatural being. Hence, it is incompatible with Christianity.

B. But if we appeal to the modifier "natural" (as Rich pointed out) and claim that the method does not apply to the Resurrection because that is not a natural phenomenon, then the statement becomes nothing but a tautology saying "everything that is natural is natural." Hence, it is meaningless.

Unless we can apply the method to investigate everything (including the Resurrection) then the method serves no purpose. But unless we allows that the method will not always be successful then it is incompatible with the Resurrection. So methodological naturalism must be a method, not a worldview.

To correct the statement, it should say something like this, "Methodological naturalism [is] a procedure that works from the assumption that observable phenomena may be explained without reference to supernatural beings or events in order to search for natural explanations."

 Phil