Re: [asa] crocoduck on ABC Nightline

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 20:48:54 EDT

Dave Opderbeck wrote:

"ASA could make a major difference with relatively little resources: do we have a public relations package and well-defined press liaison? ...
The ASA could produce a brief info backgrounder for the press, identify five or six well-qualified folks with various specializations who could speak broadly and intelligently, and -- most important -- make a regular effort to keep this informtion in front of reporters and producers on the "religion" beat.

Another key here, I think, is to get the idea of local ASA sections off the ground. First, such groups can purposefully pray about opportunities to relate true and faithful perspectives to the world. And, such groups create relational networks that lead to such opportunities."

We don't have that, Dave, but I would like very much to go in that direction. We have made some strides through our connection with the Religion Newswriters Association where we have managed to get ASA members signed up as regional contacts for the newswriters. I don't have a good measurement of how effective that is but it's a step in the right direction.

As for local sections, or chapters as the recent bylaw revision enables, I fully agree. Full speed ahead on that.

Randy