Re: [asa] Revisiting an ID critique

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 11:42:51 EDT

Jim Armstrong wrote:

"...The first is the shift away from capital letters in "Intelligent Design..."

a few years ago, Owen Gingerich started talking about "intelligent design" with lower case i and lower case d as being the foundational concept of a Creator that all Christians would affirm, while "Intelligent Design" with capital I and D referred to the ID movement with a particular approach to detecting design in nature. I think that's a very helpful distinction, though you have to listen carefully sometimes to distinguish the case of the letters. Confusion between the two concepts and the tendency to move seamlessly from one to the other during a discussion are the sources of many disputes and misunderstanding.

In your note, are you suggesting that the lower case is now being increasingly used to signify what had been upper case ID? Can you point to some examples? Such a tendency would only serve to further obfuscate the discussion.

Randy