Re: [asa] ASA stance

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 20:48:29 EDT

Don Calbreath wrote:

> 4. The recent conversations with AAAS and ASA must have been very
> comforting to the secular folks in AAAS (I have not seen anything specific
> about what was said in the conversation). My guess would be that they
> know now that they have co-opted a major Christian organization and can
> now get on with the task of eliminating any talk of God being involved in
> the world. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Yes, Don, you will be pleased to know that you are wrong on this point. What
they know now is 1. they urgently need to oppose the view that science
disproves the existence of God or is in any way antithetical to theism in
general and Christianity in particular, 2. Christianity is not opposed to
science and knowledge gained through the scientific methodology. It is
opposed to the inappropriate naturalistic philosophies that are sometimes
extrapolated from science. 3. there are organizations of Christians in
science such as the ASA with whom they can work to help educate Christians
that science isn't anti-theistic and to inform scientists that Christians
are not anti-science.

Randy