Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 14:32:27 EDT

On 5/15/07, Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com> wrote:

> David, perhaps you can shed some light on this but it appears from my lay
> eye that a pretty solid civil rights lawsuit could result. ... I hope that
> President Geoffrey's lawyers are advising him well.

It has been noted offline that I was showing myself as outside of academia.
This is true. I am coming at this clearly from the point of view of an
outsider. But, I believe an outsider's perspective can be helpful here.
Industry has been subject to civil rights lawsuits and the sensitivity that
this entails. Much of the so-called sensitivity training is specifically
targeted to avoid said lawsuits. We also know what kind of detailed scrutiny
is involved with hiring and promotion practices. Note where my concern lies:
not with Professor Gonzalez but with President Geoffreys and my alma mater.
I am not suggesting that it is wise to raise such a suit -- which I believe
it is not because he was denied at all levels of review -- but rather
whether it could be raised and more importantly won. Given the high emotions
here the possibility of somebody going "scorched earth" here is a distinct
possibility. This is the kind of firestorm that could wipe out the tenure
system altogether. Because of the overlapping areas of law the David
mentioned this might well go to the Supreme Court and set precedent. If you
want a preview think UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA REGENTS v. BAKKE, 438 U.S.
265 (1978). As I said before, I hope President Geoffreys has extraordinarily
good legal counsel.