Re: [asa] animals

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 11:28:56 EDT

At 09:58 PM 5/14/2007, Jack wrote:
>I am sure that no one on this list would disagree with the idea that
>Man is unique among Gods creation, that Man is created in the Image
>of God. I think that the message of the Bible as a whole teaches
>that Man differs from animals in KIND not in degree. I do not
>think that the Bible teaches that there are increasing degrees of
>"soulness" in creation with Man being the ultimate. I think Man is
>something else entirely. Maybe the trichotomists have it
>right. Created things can be of body, spirit, and soul. Material
>non-living things, rocks, air, water, are only physical, only
>body. Material living things from microbes to mammals, are body and
>spirit. They have the breath of life, they are living. I would
>even include man's mind, since it can nearly be reduced to an
>emergent property of neural complexity, as part of the
>body/spirit.. But Man is of three parts, body, spirit/mind, and
>soul. The soul is eternal, it is capable of conscious existence
>outside of the body, possibly it is the source of free will. I do
>not know how it manifests itself in the physical world, but Man is
>only complete when he is whole in body, spirit and soul. So like the
>triune God, we are also in three parts, and maybe that is what it
>means to be made in Gods image. ~ Jack

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol or John Burgeson"
><burgytwo@juno.com> [snip]

@ I thought it would be interesting to see what I could come up with
doing this search using the word, "trinity":

If interested, click here and scroll down to each of
them: http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/search?q=trinity

Here are merely three items out of many listed by latest to earliest date:

[1] "...self-evident -- either the mind is truth, or it is nothing.
....unlike any mere animal, the human being is composed of intellect,
will, and sentiment -- or of truth, virtue, and liberty. .." ~ On
Having vs. Doing Religion 04/14/ 2007

[2] "...Again, this is one of the "infinite distinctions" between
man and animal. Of course, one of the "signs of the times" is that it
is actually controversial to say that the gap between man and animal
is infinite, but this is a fine example of where the radical
Darwinians are wrong. An animal knows nothing of the future, only the
now. In fact, it would even be incorrect to say that they know the
now in any human sense, as a quasi-magical ingression of eternity
into time. For animals it is more of a two-dimensional, "in your
face" now, whereas for humans it has an additional dimension of
"distance" and therefore depth...." ~ You Have Omail: The End is
Near! 02/27/2007

[3] Planet of the Apes of God: The Subhuman Agenda of the
Stick-Wielding Kosmonkeys Monday, February 26, 2007

"..Not to spark another debate about the Trinity, but another
universal trinity as it pertains to man's spiritual development is
that of purification, realization, and union. ...

Perhaps these three phases can also tell us something about our
collective history, which -- let's face it -- is either a process
that is leading somewhere, or complete horizontal chaos onto which we
simply superimpose fanciful patterns. Obviously I believe the former
is true; and in fact, one of man's prerogatives -- one of the things
that defines him as man -- is the ability to think historically. In
other words, prior to this or that particular history is the
intuition of absolute history itself.

Speaking of which, Dupree alerted me to the most appallingly fatuous
piece of scientistic gobshite on dailykos the other day. If anyone
wants to know why I so despise the secular left -- why it is the
mortal enemy of the Coon way of life -- perusing this infrahuman
dispatch from the bowels of metaphysical ignorance would serve as
well as any, for it reveals the ultimate premise and goal of the left
in all its hideously naked barbarity, which is to turn man into a
beast. Entitled
<http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/2/23/10551/6579>Science
Friday: You Are Not That Special, it reads,

"a pair of recent articles point up the folly of making tool use the
test of humanity. It appears that chimpanzees had their own 'stone
age.' Around the same time the pyramids were being constructed in
Egypt, Chimps in West Africa were using stone tools to get at
hard-shelled nuts. It's not only chimpanzees of the past who use
tools. It's long been known that some bands of modern chimps use
sticks to tease insects from their hives."

There, you see? This ignoramus looks at the vast panorama of creation
and concludes that one of the seven wonders of the world is
indistinguishible from a hungry monkey cracking open a nut. By this
adamantine logic, Kos himself is nothing more than a grubby chimp
poking his joystick into a cyberhole to satisfy his animal impulses.
Which, of course, is entirely true.

The self-confessed monkey in question then asks,

duh, "how can you draw the line between us and them? Emotions?
Language? The answer is that you can't. There are no lines. Deeply
unsatisfying as it is to the desire to group items into black and
white (a tendency also not limited to humans), all the answers of
science are grey."

Oh, really? What could be more black and white than suggesting that
there is absolutely no distinction between animals and human beings?
For example, even my dog knows better than this. Frankly she is in
awe of Dear Leader and his magical powers -- indeed, even of Future
Leader and the mysterious Trail of Food he leaves in his wake.

The stick-wielding kosmonkey then presumes to inform humans -- but
how would he know? -- that "Your species is not that special. Reading
the text of paleontology and history, there is no bold message of
certainty. Winding back the clock reveals no inexorable march in our
direction, or even the triumph of 'better' over 'worse'.... [H]uman
history has been defined as much by fortuitous placement of natural
resources as it has been by human action. You're the tail end of the
tail end of a process that much more closely resembles random chance
than progress toward an objective."

Furtherless, "Your world is not that special. Your planet is not
located at the center of the universe. Neither is your star, or your
galaxy. Perhaps most disturbing at all, as telescopes have revealed
to us the enormity of space, both astronomy and geology have revealed
the breathless expanse (sic) of time. We are not just insignificantly
small items living in a vast ocean of space; we're living in a moment
so brief that it's barely a single tick of a clock that's already run
through millennia without us, and will not pause when we are gone."

I don't mean to dwell on this moronic diatribe, but it is important.
Don't worry, we're almost done. The beast finishes poking his verbal
stick into the dirt by saying,

"No, you are not that special. And yet, you are a wonder, absolutely
unique and irreplaceable. Your species is a wonder, gifted with
physical and mental resources that provide boundless opportunity.
Your planet is a wonder, swarming with life in infinite variety and
complexity. Your universe is a wonder, based on laws so precisely
balanced that the slightest variation in any of them might have
caused everything -- space, time, and everything that moves through
both -- to never have appeared."

Let's de-deconstruct this vacuous elegy to nothingness for just a
moment, since it does such a good job of articulating the satanic
agenda of the left, and presents such a perfect mirror image of the
Coon view of creation -- the arc of salvation.

According to Valentin Tomberg, all evolutionary progress in the
vertical is accompanied by a sort of shadow version in the lower
vertical. (Catholics know full well, for example, that the shadow of
evil unavoidably entered the church with its inception; likewise, it
is not a coincidence that Marx was the son -- or grandson, anyway --
of a rabbi, being that he crafted what can only be called the
ultimate "reverse-sinai revelation"; similarly, most of the "new age"
is a perverse reflection of certain primordial truths that are only
now coming into full flower in the collective vertical.)

Will has referrred to this as the "ape of God" -- not "ape" in the
animal sense, but in terms of aping, or imitating. It would be
perfectly accurate to say -- and all true theologians know this --
that leftism itself is the ape of the primordial doctrine. It is not
analogous to, say, paganism, which, as Will has pointed out, had its
role in the arc of salvation. After all, religion had to start
somewhere, as does any developmental process. It only becomes
pathological if the developmental process becomes arrested, if there
is a regression to the earlier mode, or if there is a "fixation" or a
"complex" -- a proscribed area that does not enter the stream of
development, but becomes "stuck" in exactly the manner of a mind parasite.

In other words, a human being can be quite developed in certain areas
but completely fixated in others. For some reason Alan Watts comes to
mind. On the one hand he could speak eloquently and charismatically
about matters of spirit, while on the other hand he was a pathetic
alcoholic with a masochistic spanking fixation. He was a fairly
typical Phase II man, but would never do in Phase III, which will
require a much higher level of purity, integration, and actualization.

You will note, for example, how deeply flawed were certain heroes of
the Old Testament -- David comes to mind, or even a secular hero such
as Alexander the Great. These men had a critical civilizing mission
to accomplish, and behavior that was perfectly acceptable in Phase I
would be entirely unacceptable in Phases II or III. We are called to
a much higher moral standard, but let us never forget that the gulf
between animal-man and Phase I man was probably even greater than the
distance between Phases II and III. In his context, David is as great
a man as any who has ever lived. Unfortunately, it is possible that
the same may be said of Mohammed, whose mission involved the
evolution of the nomadic animal-men of the Arab world into Phase I.
Islam began moving into Phase II some 700 years ago, but then pulled
back for a variety of reasons. Now they wish to re-impose Phase I on
the rest of the world, completely halting its evolutionary progress.

Back to leftism. It is not a fixation, a regression, or an arrested
mode of development. Rather, it is in every respect a parallel, or
"shadow" of principial truth. Let us review the main conclusions of
the kosmonkey referenced above:

1) Man is an animal, fundamentally no different than any other.

2) Values are an illusion; nothing is actually any better than
anything else (e.g., the Giza Pyramid is a stick in an ant hole and
Shakespeare is Maureen Dowd).

3) Emotion and language -- or heart and head, meaning and truth --
cannot actually exist in any human sense. My dog knowing where to
poop or when it's time for a walk is no different than the theory of
relativity.

4) Nothing can be known with certainty, which is simply another way
of saying that nothing may be known except falsehood -- which is no
knowledge at all.

5) Ironic though it may be for a "progressive" to say, there is
actually no direction in history, no objective standard of
measurement, no better or worse. Our unique Western values have
nothing whatsoever to do with our extraordinary "success." As the Big
Baboon, Jared Diamond, has argued, it's just a matter of geography,
disease, and fortuitous placement of natural resources.

6) There is no intrinsic meaning in the cosmos, much less in your
life -- which is simply the tail end of the tail end of a random
process leading from nowhere to nothing.

7) The secular leftist takes an appallingly violent wrecking ball to
the entire realm of the vertical, in that not only are you not
special, but you are insignificantly small. Furthermore, the world is
not special -- which of course makes us wonder -- but not really --
why all these leftists cheer the fanatical message of Al Gore, which
is obviously premised on the doctrinal truth that the earth is of
infinite importance; here again, a fine example of the "ape of God."

8) Neither human beings nor the planet are at the center of the
universe, since there is by definition no center once the vertical
has been demolished by academic monkeys with sticks. Again, the
correct doctrine is that of course human beings are at the very
center of the cosmic drama if viewed vertically. The center of a
three-dimensional cone is a line that descends from the point to the
base, not anything located along the base. Reduced from three to two
dimensions, we are left with only a circle at the base. This is the
self-imposed "circle of hell" inhabited by the the secular left which
they -- no different than the Islamists -- would like to impose upon
the rest of us.

No, we're not done, because once the leftist has annihilated the
vertical -- which is definitional for them -- he performs a bait and
switch, inserting the horizontal values of the left into the hole he
has created with his monkey stick. This is where the "ape of God"
comes into play. Some are more slick and subtle than others -- i.e.,
Obama or the Clintons -- but the kosmonkey is not subtle, to say the
least. In one sentence he declares,

1) No, you are not that special.

And then, in the very next sentence, 2) Yes, you are a wonder,
absolutely unique and irreplaceable.

As you folks with a rudimentary grasp of logic will have noticed,
there is no way to derive (2) from (1), the eternal yes of life,
hope, meaning and value from the NO! of abject nihilism.

But here your troubles have only just begun, because -- to paraphase
someone -- hell is the place where logic is rendered null and void,
as in a Kafka novel. I will just end with something I wrote a while
back, and let you draw your own conclusion:

"The philosopher
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932236910?tag=onecosmos-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1932236910&adid=1QXEYVYJ1KSYXXFJWHMG&>Michael
Polanyi pointed out that what distinguishes leftist thought in all
its forms is the dangerous combination of a ruthless contempt for
traditional moral values with an unbounded moral passion for utopian
perfection.

"The first step in this process is a complete skepticism that rejects
traditional ideals of moral authority and transcendent moral
obligation. This materialistic skepticism is then combined with a
boundless, utopian moral fervor to transform mankind.

"However, being that the moral impulse remains in place, there is no
longer any boundary or channel for it. One sees this, for example, in
college students (and those permanent college students known as
professors) who, in attempting to individuate from parental authority
and define their own identities, turn their intense skepticism
against existing society, denouncing it as morally shoddy,
artificial, hypocritical, and a mere mask for oppression and
exploitation. In other words, as the philosopher Voegelin explained
it, the vertical is 'immamentized' into the present, expressing the
same religious faith but in wholly horizontal and materialistic and terms.

"What results is a moral hatred of existing society and the resultant
alienation of the postmodern leftist intellectual. Having condemned
the distinction between good and evil as dishonest, such an
individual can at least find pride in the unblinking 'honesty' of
their condemnation. Since ordinary decent behavior can never be safe
against suspicion of sheer conformity or downright hypocrisy, only an
amoral meaningless act can assure complete authenticity. This is why,
to a leftist, the worst thing you can call someone is a hypocrite,
whereas authentic depravity is celebrated in art, music, film, and
literature. It is why, for example, leftist leaders all over the
world were eager to embrace a nihilistic mass murderer such as Yasser Arafat."

Let us stipulate that we are engaged in a cosmic struggle between
human beings and monkeys with sticks, newspapers, academy awards,
suicide bombs, and tenure. Choose sides wisely. It's up to you, but
my advice is to choose the side in which the possiblity of wisdom
exists, and to steer clear of the side that thrashes wisdom to dust
with so many monkey sticks.

*****
Check out Her Badness, Dr. Sanity, who looks through the cosmic
colliderescape and sees almost the same
<http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2007/02/not-weird-at-all.html>beastly pattern.

[ snip ]
~ Janice