Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 09:04:25 EDT

On May 14, 2007, at 11:02 PM, PvM wrote:

> Iowa State responds
>

> Tenure is a complex process. It is among the most important
> decisions a university makes and is never taken lightly. *Outside
> of academia, however, there is little shared understanding of
> tenure, its rigor and significance.
>
> For that reason,* and because Gonzalez's appeal has generated a
> number of questions, the following "Frequently Asked Questions" may
> be helpful in understanding the tenure process at Iowa State.

For that reason? I don't think so. That sounds a tad defensive. Don't
look at the man behind the curtain. David, perhaps you can shed some
light on this but it appears from my lay eye that a pretty solid
civil rights lawsuit could result. The key differences from Dover are
it's a university and not a high school, there's solid science in the
form of peer review in Gonzalez' resume, and Gonzalez did not teach
ID at ISU. Thus, this is about the free exercise rather than
establishment clause. Discovery concerning Avalos and Patterson and
the 120 could be very interesting. Also, putting the entire review
process including the president of the university under oath could
put the whole sausage-making process of wink wink nod nod under the
microscope. Ward Churchill was nothing compared to what kind of
damage to the tenure process could ensue. I hope that President
Geoffrey's lawyers are advising him well.