Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 01:02:15 EDT

Iowa State responds

Dr. Gonzalez was evaluated for tenure and promotion to associate
professor by the tenured faculty in the Department of Physics and
Astronomy. That evaluation was based on an assessment of the
excellence of his teaching, service, scholarly research publications
and research funding in astronomy, using standards and expectations
set by the department faculty. The consensus of the tenured department
faculty, the department chair, the College of Liberal Arts and
Sciences, the dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and the executive
vice president and provost was that tenure should not be granted.
Based on recommendations against granting tenure and promotion at
every prior level of review, and his own review of the record,
President Gregory Geoffroy notified Gonzalez in April that he would
not be granted tenure and promotion to associate professor.

Full article at http://www.iastate.edu/~nscentral/news/2007/may/tenureFAQ.shtml