Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 00:47:18 EDT

On May 14, 2007, at 9:47 PM, PvM wrote:

> The problem as I see it is that the DI is inflating Gonzalez's record
> and is not doing them any service by such an approach. It's too easily
> shot down. Understate his record and you have always room to maneuver
> more.
> Also by mentioning his accomplishments, they also have left out
> details as to funding, teaching and how many students Gonzalez has on
> his team.
>
> I am not sure that Gonzalez is too happy with his friends right now.

That's why I have tried to do independent research. And I am not sure
that in this case that it is TDI that is inflating the record. The
Ames Tribune quotes Gonzalez rather than TDI.
http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?
newsid=18333457&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554432&rfi=6

> Gonzalez said he submitted 68, of which 25 have been written since
> he arrived at ISU in 2001.

My review of his work causes me to conclude that neither of the
following assessments are true:

> While his work is heralded as "path-breaking" by supporters of
> intelligent design as a way of offering a new theory supporting
> design in the universe, Gonzalez has come under criticism by the
> mainstream science community for incorporating the theory of
> intelligent design into his work.
>
> Opponents maintain that proving intelligent causes or agents is not
> science but rather the study of theology and philosophy. Some also
> have accused Gonzalez, an openly non-denominational Protestant, of
> thrusting religion into science.

So, is his more pedestrian and mainstream academic output worthy of
tenure? I don't know and I don't think we can know as it has been so
enmeshed with politics. Like you, I would like to know more about the
teaching and grant situations and whether opposition came from within
or without his department.