Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: <SteamDoc@aol.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 21:36:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/2007 7:23:39 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Philtill
writes:

> The astronomy department at ISU is fairly prestigious (after all, Van
Allen was there);

Correction: Van Allen was at the University of Iowa (not ISU).

Oops, you're right.
So maybe ISU astronomy isn't that prestigious.
But the main point still stands, which is that campus-wide tenure statistics
are irrelevant, and one must look at the record of the particular department
through the years in judging whether a particular person has been held to an
inappropriately high standard or not.

Another factor (difficult to judge from afar) is the department's budget
situation. If budget is tight, a borderline case who might have squeezed in
under other circumstances might be denied tenure as a relatively easy way
(compared to other options) of cutting the department budget.