Re: [asa] Guillermo Gonzalez mugging

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 20:52:51 EDT

Terry, I agree with you, except that I'd want to qualify a couple of things:

1. Academic freedom should be the birthright of all faculty, tenured or
not. I understand what you're saying as a practical matter, particularly as
I'm one of the untenured masses, although in a discipline that's a bit more
freewheeling than the natural sciences, so, sure, I have to let the tenure
requirements and to some extent the politics cabin my choices for now. But
just because some self-censorship is wise doesn't mean it's good. (I'm also
a very atypical academic, having come to the ivory tower a bit later in life
after a career in the trenches, so I'm a little less willing to duck and
cover at the stage in my life....)

2. By all means, young folks, strive for tenure ... or for a vice
presidency in your company, or for a partnership in your firm, or whatever.
But let me offer something from hard-won experience clawing my way to one of
those brass rings: don't let any such goal become an idol. Life is too
long to think that it everything will end if some goal isn't achieved, and
it's too short to sacrifice family, friends, and faith to a career. If you
work hard with the primary aim of glorifying God, if you recognize that your
work is only one aspect of who you are in Christ, if you love people richly
and deeply and if you aren't ashamed of the Gospel, God will honor you --
maybe not with the "success" you initially sought in exactly the way you
first sought it, but above all with His presence and peace, and with the
reward of completing the race He has set before you. That's what it's
really all about.