Re: [asa] Guillermo Gonzalez mugging

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 18:27:24 EDT

Some aspects of this discussion remind me a bit of the advice given
in Richard Bube's "So You Want to Be a Science Professor"
( http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1989/PSCF9-89Bube.html ). His #1
piece of advice is "Get Tenure". He refers to pre-tenure as
"trial-by-fire, a 6-year indentured servanthood". This is not to
comment necessarily on Gonzalez' case--perhaps it's more of a
reflection on my own experience. The reality in the academic world
today is that you must devote yourself to those things that
those who will be judging you think to be important. Other issues--
perhaps more interesting to you personally--should be put
on the back burner until you've jumped through the tenure hoop.
Whether this is Christian perspectives issues or even a more
speculative research program, you might not be able to do it at all
if you don't get tenure.

As for the academic freedom issue, there's a sense in all this in
which academic freedom is only for tenured faculty. After all, that's
one of the purposes of tenure.

TG