[asa] O Freunde, nicht diese Töne (was Re: [asa] animals)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 14:30:45 EDT

Much of this stuff about animals & souls is unhelpful. 1st, the belief that
human beings have eternal (or more precisely, unless you're an Origenist
semi-eternal) souls is primarily a theological claim & only secondarily a
theological one. (Before anyone challenges this, please look at Aquinas'
discussion of souls in the Summa Theologica & assess the relative importance
of Aristotle scripture there.) Even if we agree that human beings have a
rational soul which is separable from the body, Christian hope is not for
the survival of that soul but for the resurrection of the total
body-soul-spirit-however you want to parse it person. & therefore instead
of discussing the future state, if any, of non-human animals, the question
ought to be posed in terms of whether or not scripture & sound theology
based upon it give us any reason to think that such animals have any place
in God's intention for creation.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/