Re: [asa] Guillermo Gonzalez mugging

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 12:09:39 EDT

On 5/14/07, Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu> wrote:

> For the time being, however, I state uncategorically my anger and
> disappointment about this academic mugging. I am more than a little annoyed
> by Pim's efforts to suggest that Guillermo was not a top junior
> scientist--give it a rest, Pim, his record is far more impressive than that
> of most young scientists at similar universities. Having followed events
> there in recent years pretty closely, it is clear to me that this results
> from "viewpoint discrimination" of the most vicious kind. No one at Cornell
> or Oxford or Harvard initiates petition drives to ensure that the public
> does not think the university endorses the religious interpretations of
> science advanced by Sagan, Atkins, Dawkins, Wilson, or anyone else on those
> faculties. It was simply outrageous that Avalos did this to
> Gonzalez--utterly and completely outrageous--and it has led to this, IMO.

I understand how you may reach your conclusion and I am sure that
Gonzalez's ventures into ID land did not have a positive effect on the
decision to not give tenure to Gonzalez. But before jumping to
conclusions about whether or not the rejection was based on viewpoint
discrimination, it seems relevant to determine how Guillermo's
contributions stack up to the requirements of the university as well
as how they compare to other candidates, such as Martin Pohl, who
started two years after Gonzalez and was awarded tenure.

I understand why you may believe that there was viewpoint
discrimination and perhaps you are right. So far, I have not seen
sufficient data to make such a conclusion. I have seen people trying
to argue that Gonzalez's publication record should be sufficient to be
awarded tenure but that is based on a flawed reading of the tenure
requirements I believe. A publication record is but one aspect of the
equation.

By the 28th, the president of the university will have to make his
final decision. Perhaps we shall find out more by then, or afterwards.