Re: [asa] University Denies Tenure to Intelligent Design Theorist

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 23:26:35 EDT

On 5/13/07, Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know but it is currently in process of appeal to the university
> president. Thus, he couldn't comment in the Ames Tribune article, nor did
> Gonzalez comment. In the past it has been claimed that reason why ID
> proponents were oppressed was because they didn't publish in "real" journals
> or that they were obsessed with an ID agenda. Gonzalez' paper trail denies
> both of these assertions. The only place his privileged planet hypothesis

This is mostly a strawman. They did not publish anything relevant to
ID is said journals. Have you checked Gonzalez 'paper trail' at Ross's
website btw?

> showed up was in a monograph. All the rest of his papers were on other
> matters in the mainstream of astronomy and astrophysics. There could very
> well be a good reason why he was denied tenure but let's look at the Ames
> Tribune quote again:
>
>
> According to ISU's policy on promotion and tenure, evaluation is based
> "primarily on evidence of scholarship in the faculty member's teaching,
> research/creative activities, and/or extension/professional practice."

How is Gonzalez doing on mentoring graduate students? What about any
grants he has brought in to the university? What about other
activities that define a professor's career? He does not even seem to
have much of a homepage presence at ISU. Compare that to others who
did make tenure. So far I have checked a few, and they show teaching
experience, graduate students, involvement in their departments' day
to day functioning and NSF grants. How does Gonzalez stack up here?
AFAICT there is not even a CV available of Gonzalez, so much has to be
constructed through hard work. It would be interesting to see what
Gonzalez submitted to the tenure committee.

> In addition to that criteria, Gonzalez's department of astronomy and physics
> sets a benchmark for tenure candidates to author at least 15 peer-reviewed
> journal articles of quality. Gonzalez said he submitted 68, of which 25 have
> been written since he arrived at ISU in 2001.
>
> "I believe that I fully met the requirements for tenure at ISU," he said
>
> Assuming that what Gonzalez is true with respect to the number of published
> journal articles and given the breadth of "quality" astronomy and
> astrophysics journals I saw it appears that departmental requirements have
> been satisfied. Then the elephant in the room quote:
>

Do the search again, there are two Guillermo Gonzalez's one with many
multi authored papers, not our guillermo however.

According to ISI these are the publications of Gonzalez with an
affiliation of Ohio State

1. Vanture, AD; Smith, VV; Lutz, J; et al.
    Correlations between lithium and technetium absorption lines in
the spectra of galactic S stars
    PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 119
(852): 147-155 FEB 2007

2. Gonzalez, G
    The chemical compositions of stars with planets: A review
    PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 118
(849): 1494-1505 NOV 2006

3. Tautvaisiene, G; Wallerstein, G; Geisler, D; et al.
    Chemical abundances in the Sagittarius galaxy: Terzan 7
    IAU SYMPOSIA, 13: 210-210 2005

4. Gonzalez, G
    Indium abundance trends among sun-like stars
    MONTHLY NOTICES OF THE ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY, 371 (2):
781-785 SEP 11 2006

5. Gonzalez, G
    Condensation temperature trends among stars with planets
    MONTHLY NOTICES OF THE ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY, 367 (1):
L37-L41 MAR 21 2006

6. Gonzalez, G
    Habitable zones in the universe
    ORIGINS OF LIFE AND EVOLUTION OF THE BIOSPHERE, 35 (6): 555-606 DEC 2005

7. Gonzalez, G
    Misrepresenting intelligent design
    SCIENTIST, 19 (16): 8-8 AUG 29 2005

8. Giridhar, S; Lambert, DL; Reddy, BE; et al.
    Abundance analyses of field RV Tauri stars. VI. An extended sample
    ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 627 (1): 432-445 Part 1 JUL 1 2005

9. Geisler, D; Smith, VV; Wallerstein, G; et al.
    "Sculptor-ing'' the galaxy? The chemical compositions of red
giants in the Sculptor dwarf spheroidal galaxy
    ASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL, 129 (3): 1428-1442 MAR 2005

10. Foong, SCC; Gonzalez, GL; Dickson, JS
    Reduction and survival of Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat
meats after irradiation
    JOURNAL OF FOOD PROTECTION, 67 (1): 77-82 JAN 2004

11. Laws, C; Gonzalez, G
    A reevaluation of the super-lithium-rich star in NGC 6633
    ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 595 (2): 1148-1153 Part 1 OCT 1 2003

12. Laws, C; Gonzalez, G; Walker, KM; et al.
    Parent stars of extrasolar planets. VII. New abundance analyses of
30 systems
    ASTRONOMICAL JOURNAL, 125 (5): 2664-2677 MAY 2003

13. Wells, LE; Armstrong, JC; Gonzalez, G
    Reseeding of early Earth by impacts of returning ejecta during the
late heavy bombardment
    ICARUS, 162 (1): 38-46 MAR 2003

14. Gonzalez, G
    Colloquium: Stars, planets, and metals
    REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS, 75 (1): 101-120 JAN 2003

15. Candia, P; Krisciunas, K; Suntzeff, NB; et al.
    Optical and infrared photometry of the unusual Type Ia supernova 2000cx
    PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 115
(805): 277-294 MAR 2003

One, number 10 is not by guillermo and one is a letter to the editor.
Somehow things do not look that impressive anymore. Perhaps Gonzalez
did submit 20+ but not all seem to have made it to publication.

To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Received on Sun May 13 23:27:05 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sun May 13 2007 - 23:27:05 EDT