Re: [asa] University Denies Tenure to Intelligent Design Theorist

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 22:51:10 EDT

I don't know but it is currently in process of appeal to the
university president. Thus, he couldn't comment in the Ames Tribune
article, nor did Gonzalez comment. In the past it has been claimed
that reason why ID proponents were oppressed was because they didn't
publish in "real" journals or that they were obsessed with an ID
agenda. Gonzalez' paper trail denies both of these assertions. The
only place his privileged planet hypothesis showed up was in a
monograph. All the rest of his papers were on other matters in the
mainstream of astronomy and astrophysics. There could very well be a
good reason why he was denied tenure but let's look at the Ames
Tribune quote again:

> According to ISU's policy on promotion and tenure, evaluation is
> based "primarily on evidence of scholarship in the faculty member's
> teaching, research/creative activities, and/or extension/
> professional practice."

> In addition to that criteria, Gonzalez's department of astronomy
> and physics sets a benchmark for tenure candidates to author at
> least 15 peer-reviewed journal articles of quality. Gonzalez said
> he submitted 68, of which 25 have been written since he arrived at
> ISU in 2001.
>
> "I believe that I fully met the requirements for tenure at ISU," he
> said

Assuming that what Gonzalez is true with respect to the number of
published journal articles and given the breadth of "quality"
astronomy and astrophysics journals I saw it appears that
departmental requirements have been satisfied. Then the elephant in
the room quote:

> Gonzalez said he would rather not comment on why he believes he was
> denied tenure.

Maybe it was real hard to get tenure at my alma mater. Nope.

> ISU considered 66 faculty cases for promotion and tenure during the
> past academic year. Only three, including Gonzalez, were denied
> tenure.

Gordon, you are on to something about the department versus other
professors. The 120 professor petition at ISU against ID contained no
one in Gonzalez' department. The two main instigators were Hector
Avalos a religious study professor who is the faculty advisor to and
founder of the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society and Materials Science
Emeritus Professor John Patterson. That name rang a bell with me. I
was a student an engineering student at ISU in the early '80s when
atheist Patterson started his public battles with creationists. To
show you how "unbiased" the pair is see the following from the Iowa
State Daily:

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/home/index.cfm?
event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=862b7568-a346-1028-
a55e-75b0145261f1