Re: [asa] University Denies Tenure to Intelligent Design Theorist

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 19:19:54 EDT

Well, for starters I have reviewed the guidelines from the Iowa State
University in these matters, I have reviewed the guidelines from the
arts and sciences department on these matters and I am comparing
Martin Pohl and Guillermo Gonzalez as to how well they meet the stated
requirements.

Such as how many graduate students, what does the research group look
like, what teaching experience, how well in establishing funding with
NSF etc etc.

It is tempting to conclude that it was based on Gonzalez's love affair
with ID, and in some sense indeed this may be partially relevant as
the time spent on evangelizing Privileged Planet may have distracted
from pursuing a more robust research, building strong connections
within the astronomy community and so on.

If you want to jump to the conclusion that this is an example of a
Christian scientist suffering for his faith, then I invite you to
present your argument.

For instance, how familiar are you with the tenure requirements as
outlined by the university and the departments in question?