Weight of soul (was: Re: [asa] Event or process)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 18:15:00 EDT

I'd read of this long ago in one of those collections of "strange
happenings." As it happens, the most recent (June) issue of Discover has an
article "Soul Search" which contains the following paragraph (p.48):

"History is filled with attempts to prove that the soul is real. In 1921
physician Duncan MacDougall devised the famous "21 grams" experiment to
detect the exit of the soul from the body by measuring how a person's weight
changes immediately after death. He monitored six deaths and reported that
the people lost anywhere between 11 and 43 grams at death (not always 21
grams as popularly reported), which he took as the material weight of the
soul. Follow-up experiments failed to replicate MacDougall's findings, and
some researchers attribute the weight loss to straightforward processes like
the evaporation of water from the body."

It then goes on to describe a somewhat more sophisticated experiment
proposed by Gerard Nahum, "a physician and director of medical affairs for
the pharmaceutical company Berlex."

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/