RE: [asa] Re: ASA stance

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 23:51:24 EDT

Nowhere did I say that anyone should be "banned" from ASA or asked to
resign their membership. Let's just take an unequivocal stand and
encourage like-minded individuals to join us. There is no question
about earth age among scientists, why should we be silent? Are we
worried about turning people away we don't need anyway?

This is our statement of faith from Genesis Proclaimed Association. It
goes far beyond the ASA statement, but we defend it. Sure we take gas
on "inerrancy." But anybody is free to join us. We don't have any
litmus test. I would presume that anyone who might like to join would
read what's on our web site and peruse this statement before joining.

WE BELIEVE

. . . in the plenary inspiration and inerrancy of the Scriptures
contained in the Old and New Testaments; that the Bible is the only
sufficient rule of faith and practice.

. . . in one God, eternally existing in three persons: God, the Father;
God, the Son: and God, the Holy Spirit.

. . . in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His
sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in
His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the
Father, and in His return to earth in power and glory to judge the
living and the dead.

. . . in the Holy Spirit, God present with us for guidance, for comfort,
and for empowerment.

WE FURTHER BELIEVE

. . . that the first eleven chapters of Genesis are inspired by God, and
are to be considered just as much a part of the Scriptures as any other
part of the Old or New Testament.

. . . that the Scriptures can be and ought to be clarified and
illuminated by the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, the observed workings
of nature, and by scientific and historical discovery.

. . . that where discrepancies seem to exist we need to hold those parts
of Scripture in abeyance, honoring them, but avoiding controversy by
interpreting them in a way that is inconsistent with what we can observe
in nature, verify through science and history, or perceive by comparison
with the rest of the inspired Scriptures.

. . . that scientific methods have validity, and can be applied to
elements of our faith.

. . . that science cannot sit in judgment of Scripture, but can only
illuminate and clarify to keep us from making mistakes in interpretation
that could cause our brothers to stumble.

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org