Re: [asa] Re: ASA stance

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 20:03:43 EDT

In the course of these discussions I'm reminded of
some song lyrics by the group Casting Crowns--

"Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
Cause we are the body of Christ"

Let us never be accused of excluding Christians from
our fellowship...

The ASA believes that:
"As an organization, the ASA does not take a position
when there is honest disagreement between Christians
on an issue. We are committed to providing an open
forum where controversies can be discussed without
fear of unjust condemnation. Legitimate differences of
opinion among Christians who have studied both the
Bible and science are freely expressed within the
Affiliation in a context of Christian love and concern
for truth."

I would interpret this to mean that we respect the
integrity of the scientific *process* and the
prayerful process of interpreting scripture, but that
the resulting conclusions reached by our brothers and
sisters should be respected as "legitimate differences
of opinion"; that being said, we are bound to admonish
each other in both science and scriptural
interpretation in order to maintain the integrity of
the truth as much as we are able to discern it. Where
there is no *honest disagreement* about this truth,
then I think it is appropriate for ASA to take a
stance. If we are not sure whether or not *honest
disagreement* exists, then I think it would be better
to remain charitable to the minority opinion by not
taking such a stand. This may not be the most PR savy
thing to do, but then, Jesus was more concerned with
people and relationships, not PR.

So I think the question that we have to focus on as an
organization is this: is there an *honest
disagreement* among us that both the Biblical and
scientific understanding put forth in a YEC framework
is not representative of the truth? If ASA, as a
group, is satisfied that YEC does not represent truth,
either Biblically or scientifically, then I think ASA
should make a *respectful* statement to this effect;
in conjunction with this however, it should be made
*very clear* that the organization nevertheless
welcomes *all* Christians in fellowship, regardless of
their position on this issue.

Christine Smith