Re: [asa] ASA Annual Meeting in Edinburgh, anyone going?

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 16:09:11 EDT

Sadly I wont be there as I am going to an International History of geology
conference in Bavaria and giving a paper on clergy geologists (Anglican)
Dave young will also be there and Martin Rudwick. Nearby is the Solnhofn
quarries where archaeopteryx was found. It is important to chip away at the
myth that Christians cant be geologists and the nonsense emanating from AIG
that geology and deep time is the result of the atheist enlightenment.
Perhaps even Denyse might approve of me going as in a small way I will be
tackling opposition to Christianity

I live about 120 miles south of Edinburgh near Lancaster so if anyone is
passing through call in. however we wont be around till 8th August as that
week I am taking some Harvard students round Wales again to look at Darwin
sites. If you look at a map Lancaster is almost on the main route from
Glasgow to Manchester and the south and we are only 2 miles from the
motorway junction.

Is anyone else bar Arie going to the History of Science conference for
Hedley Brooke on 23-7 July?

30 mls from us are both the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales which are
incredible National Parks of mountainous country. The scenery is some of the
best in the world. I would be able to give advice on good walks, either flat
or mountainous. Though few mountains are more than 3000ft they are often
serious ventures if the weather turns bad which is often. Having done
serious hillwalking in Uganda, South Africa (Drakensberg, Table Mountain and
the richtersveld) the Alps, Madeira and Canadian Rockies, Sierra Nevada,
Black hills and in S Carolina and some little canyon gouged out by Noah, I
will not allow anyone to denigrate our fantastic mountains. They have given
me some wonderful days. I reckon it is better to spend more time in one area
than rush through the lot, rather like the comedy film about American
tourists "If it's Tuesday it's Brussels".

Come October we hope to be visiting the Carolinas and hopefully climb Mt
Mitchell

Michael