Miracles was Re: [asa] stance

From: James Mahaffy <mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 07:43:30 EDT

Bill,

I think you are even serious. We really run into problems if Christ's
miracles MUST fit within our understanding of how he normally works.
Pretty soon there is no virgin birth (an affair would produce the needed
sperm) and Lazarus was just in a coma. Then the God I worship is no
longer really God but just a good man. Isn't that what the liberal
theologian of the 30's were doing? I think that is why Machen did his
graduate work on and wrote the book the virgin birth of Christ.

I have said this before I think - but back in the 60's we had a visiting
Christian scientist visit us at Dordt where I was a student and he
seriously suggested that the water of Canna of might have been hard
water to produce the needed carbon (from Calcium carbonate). I still
use that suggestion when I have my students at Dordt think how God
works. Another suggestion I make to get them to think is that you can
explain Peter walking on water by assuming the Lord caused to big flat
bottom dwelling fish to swim right under the water. The sad thing is
that there are some Biblical commentaries [in this case I think usually
liberal theologically] that seriously try and use any natural
explanation [regardless of how implausible] to explain miracles.

James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu) Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE
Biology Department FAX : 712
722-1198
Dordt College, Sioux Center IA 51250-1697
>>> Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com> 05/11/07 9:35 PM >>>
There is of course the possibility that Jesus, rather than creating the
wine, simply transported it from somewhere else (and of course
transported the water elsewhere)

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
248.652.4148 (home) 248.821.8156 (mobile)
"A theory that you cannot explain to a bartender is probably no damn
good"
--Ernest Rutherford