Re: [asa] ASA stance

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 20:39:15 EDT

*Here's another difference in the YEC apparent age argument and the apparent
age of the wine. By creating the wine miraculously in front of all the
guests, he made its true age clear. Not so in the creation of the universe.
*

Also, we have no idea what the wine at Cana would have looked like under
careful investigation. Perhaps a chemical analysis would have made some
kind of anomaly concerning its age clear, whereas with the age of the earth
and universe there are dozens of lines of evidence that all converge on the
same result, apparently without any major anomalous results. Further, many
of the evidences that support our belief about the age of the earth and
universe involve fundamental laws of physics, e.g., the speed of light,
which can't be altered without calling into question our ability to know
anything about reality at all. The same wouldn't seem to be true for a few
jars of miraculous wine.

We also don't know the exact nature of the mircle at Cana. Did Jesus
"teleport" some existing wine from someplace else into the water jars? Did
he introduce new matter into the universe to make "new" wine? Was it a sort
of alchemy that changed water molecules into molecules of the components of
wine? We aren't told, so any suggestion that the Cana wine would have
appeared "old" to scientific investigation is just speculation.