RE: [asa] ASA stance

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 20:09:32 EDT

Hi Ted, you wrote:

>>IMO, it does not violate a commitment to scientific integrity, to say
that the earth looks old but is really young, on the basis of biblical
hermeneutics. The "appearance of age" position has a legion of problems
that I won't rehash here, but it does not deny that the scientific
conclusions are what they are. If the earth "appears" old, that is
consistent with saying that the scientific evidence leads to that
conclusion. If the Bible requires a young earth, that's not a matter of
scientific integrity; it's a theological/hermeneutical opinion. And, if
it is maintained alongside the admission that the earth does in fact
"look old", it doesn't misrepresent the relevant science.<<

No, their argument is that although it may look old, it really isn't.
That's the appearance of age argument. They don't spend a lot of time
trotting out evidence that supports the antiquity of the universe. The
message is that we are deceived. We can't believe our own eyes or trust
our senses.

From Romans we are held accountable by the evidence of nature. "For the
invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen,
being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and
Godhead; so that they are without excuse" (Rom. 1:1:20). Had an
artificially-dated planet been palmed off on us by a clever
sleight-of-hand artist we would not be without excuse, we'd have a great
excuse!

Inherent with the appearance of age argument is a classic "Catch-22." If
the world is old in complete agreement with the way it looks, then why
would God give us a book telling us it is young? And if the world is
young, then it had to be manufactured deliberately and cleverly to look
old.

Thus, the appearance of age argument poses an insane dilemma; if the
world is old, God would be a fibber, and if young, He would be a
counterfeiter! Taking young-earth dogma to its conclusion, if we could
not trust God to give us a true history of the world we live in, how
could we trust Him to give us true history and true prophecy in His
Book? A god who could falsify nature might falsify a resurrection.

My advice, tell the world where we stand and draw a line in the sand
that puts these lunatics on the other side.

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

www.genesisproclaimed.org <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/>