Re: [asa] Godel's theorem [Was: Re: Dawkins, religion, and children]

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 19:13:35 EDT

I can understand why you have grown tired of the discussion, I found
it to be starting to be lacking in depth as well.

Especially now that you are making just plain silly assertions: I am
not sure why you suggest that I am defending Dawkins' atheism so I
will consider it an unfortunate comment and let it rest as such since
it is so obviously wrong.

I was addressing your use of the Godel theorem to support your ideas
about God. As I have shown Godel's incompleteness theorems have little
to do with whether or not something is true but whether or not given a
particular limited system, such truths can be proven. Does physics
needs logic or mathematics? I doubt it. Logic and mathematics are our
ways to understand, model and capture our knowledge. Remember that
Godel's theorem is only about proving, with the system of choice, the
truth of certain propositions. Does it matter to our laws of physics
of something can be proven to be true using formal axiomatic
mathematics? Perhaps my viewpoint of physics is too simplistic, after
all it has been quite a while since I took my college physics classes,
and yet, I fail to see how our inability to prove something to be
true, is relevant to physics? It may limit our knowledge about
physics, but it does not make such a proposition true or false, just
unprovable. And I am not even going to add the concept of QM to deal
with the concept of consistency here.

<quote>All that it says is that the whole set of arithmetical truths
cannot be listed, one by one, by a Turing machine." Equivalently,
there is no algorithm which can decide the truth of all arithmetical
propositions. And that is all</quote>

Am I truly not comprehending this issues? I wonder. I appreciate your
time and effort in discussing your viewpoints on these matters.