Re: [asa] ASA stance

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 15:05:33 EDT

Ted writes:
"If the Bible requires a young earth, that's not a matter of
> scientific integrity; it's a theological/hermeneutical opinion. And, if
> it
> is maintained alongside the admission that the earth does in fact "look
> old", it doesn't misrepresent the relevant science."

Bob's response:
But what it does say is that the conclusions drawn by the relevant science
are false conclusions. "All of the relevant scientific data points to an old
universe, but so what? the scientific conclusions are not true. And further,
we YECs will not consider that our theological/hermeneutical opinion is
false. It must be true. Our hermeneutical opinion is not opinion, it is
truth, whereas the correct conclusions drawn from the scientific data are
false conclusions, opinions, really." At this point I throw up my hands.

Terry writes:
"They may not be able to pinpoint
> it--it may in fact be "appearance of age" (I think we vastly overly
> demonize this viewpoint--how old was the wine that Jesus created at
> Cana?)."

Bob's response:
I can appreciate why the Word made flesh might have aged the wine rather
quickly, assuming "the best wine" tasted aged. One could say that he was
giving a special gift to the wedding party, or giving a foretaste of the
messianic banquet, or simply to "show forth his glory," the specific purpose
that Scripture seems to indicate. But what possible purpose could the Word
"in the beginning" have in creating an entire universe that gives every
indication of being billions of years old, but doing it in six days? What
purpose would this serve? What kind of sign (semeia) is this? Can anyone
give me an answer that does not require me to take leave of my senses?

Bob Schneider