Re: [asa] crocoduck on ABC Nightline

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 13:27:03 EDT

At 12:24 PM 5/10/2007, gordon brown wrote:

>I agree with David, but this may not be as easy as it sounds. ABC
>wanted a debate, and so they may want parties that disagree on a
>number of subtopics. YEC certainly does. ... ~ Gordon Brown

@ That's apparently what The Daily Show wanted:

"...back when I was in graduate school, there was a book entitled
Starving to Death in a Sea of Objects. I have no idea whether it is
still considered valid, but the author's point was that the anorexic
gains a sense of power and control through what she can reject, as
opposed to what she can assimilate. It is the power of No.

When I saw Hitchens flogging his new anti-theistic puerilemic on the
Daily Show the other day, it occurred to me that I was seeing the
intoxicating power of the cosmic No in all its nakedly cynical glory.
I know this feeling, because I used to be that way. I remember the
sense of exhilaration, the self-satisfied "aren't I clever!," that
accompanied the intellectual thrashing of __a feeble man of faith__.

But although I always won the argument, only now, in hindsight, is it
obvious to me that I never won the Argument.

Rather, winning was just another form of losing, for it was simply
the cosmic No imagining that it had vanquished the cosmic Yes, just
because this particular Yes came across as an unsophisticated yahoo.

Even the most dense sort of No can do this.

It requires no skill, just a rudimentary grasp of reason detached from Reason.

And if you don't know what I mean by the "dense No," just try
perusing Dailykos or Huffpo.

Anything they say about science, God, or philosophy is the most
bovine sort of No you could imagine. A two year-old could do it. And
as a matter of fact..."

~ Janice .... The Cosmic No: Truth and its Oppositional
Opponents http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/