Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 07:26:57 EDT

<quote>
Conditional immortality is the name given to the doctrine that states
that human beings are not inherently immortal, but rather have
immortality conferred upon them as part of the experience of salvation.

Annihilationism, which is usually associated with conditional
immortality, states that the wicked will not suffer conscious torment
for ever, but that after death and judgment they will be destroyed,
ceasing to exist. Annihilationism is thus virtually a corollary of
conditional immortality, for if immortality were inherent, then it
follows that annihilation would not be a satisfactory explanation of hell.
</quote>http://www.theologicalstudies.org.uk/article_destroyed_gray.html

I'm not trying to change the topic, however if one accepted the above
position then it would allow a process view of becoming responsible to
God without the problem of an individual having a partial soul. Note I
am not saying that I hold the above position but it would have
interesting implications.

<quote>
John Stott advocated a well-argued, yet tentative, case for the
annihilationist position, when questioned by David Edwards in
Essentials: A Liberal-Evangelical Dialogue
</quote>

Dave W