Re: [asa] ICR for May, 2007

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 22:44:05 EDT

Strengthened organized voice on the age issue would be good -- I'll add
my amen to that along with this cautionary note. In whatever way it is
done (presumably in some "official" way) we will want to make sure the
message doesn't get misrepresented in the press so as to imply: "the
ASA has *finally* come around to accepting an old-earth. We members
may all know that what we are discussing would merely be an official
affirmation of an already long accepted position held by nearly
everybody in the ASA. But you know how a headline can be read: "ASA
endorses geological antiquity ..." which, to the casual reader, may
have the opposite effect -- far from strengthening credibility -- it
leaves the impression: "you mean they are only just now coming around
on that??!!!" All I'm saying is proceed with care on wording any press
releases.

--Merv