Re: [asa] Is There Disdain for Evangelicals in the Classroom? CLARIFICATION

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 11:02:13 EDT

> "I suspect that there has been a sort
> of low-grade coolness toward evangelicals generally that stretches back over
> decades,"

Noise makes a bigger impression, so both the more vehemently atheistic
professors and the students who set themselves up as martyrs
disproportionally affect perceptions.

There's also strong variation between disciplines. Despite the
limited contact one has as a geology grad student with the religion
department at a large university, I know of two religion professors at
UNC who use the classroom as a pulpit to attack Christianity, and I
would be surprised if they are the exception.

When I was an undergrad, one of the biology professors posted on his
door a newspaper editorial trying to use evolution as proof that
abortion was OK. As the author of the editorial had about as much
comprehension of evolution as the average fan of creation science,
there was perhaps a bit of ambiguity in the motive for posting.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections