RE: [asa] Event or process

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 08:47:51 EDT

This conversation has been about when mankind received a "soul", but I think
maybe there isn't a clear (or consistent) definition of what people mean by
the soul. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I haven't followed the conversation
closely enough, I apologize.

In particular, in response to Don's statement, "There is no indication in
biblical teaching that human souls can exist independently of bodies," I
would have to question this. Maybe we are using different definitions, or
maybe you simply understand the Bible differently from me.

Very briefly, without giving a lot of scriptural references, I believe the
Bible indicates the following:
- Man is made generally of body and spirit.
- When the spirit leaves the body, the person is dead.
- The body goes to the grave, the spirit goes on to either paradise or hell,
where it exists as a conscious entity.
- At the resurrection, the body is restored to the spirit, and we live
again. (Our eternal state is determined by God's judgment.)

Where the "soul" fits with this, I'm not entirely clear. Between various
translations and different scripture references, I think it's clear that the
word "soul" (at least in the King James translation, probably others) is
used in various ways. By definition, it means breath or the essence of the
individual. Sometimes it's used simply of a person. Sometimes it refers to
the spirit.

Body, soul, and spirit are all used in 1Thes 5:23, but whether this is
simply enhancing the idea "your whole being" or teaching a doctrine of a
soul separate from the spirit and body, I'm not sure.

The popular definition of soul that I've heard is "mind, will, and
emotions". But I find this problematic, if the soul is separate from the
body and spirit. Our body has a mind (the brain), and there is the "mind of
the spirit", which I would consider our spiritual consciousness. We have
physical emotions, and I believe also spiritual emotions (joy, contentment,
etc.). We have a will of the flesh and a will of the spirit, which war
against one another. So my understanding is that the conjunction of the
body and spirit might be considered the soul.

But if others have a different definition of soul and spirit, this needs to
be considered when talking about when mankind first received theirs
(whatever it is). Another thing to be considered is what did the Biblical
writers understand when they talked about soul or spirit, and what relation
does that have to what they considered the animals had, whether different
from (or the same as) what mankind had, if any progress is to be made in
distinguishing between what non-human or pre-human creatures had which was
different from mankind (or Adam and Eve).

Jon Tandy