Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 18:35:45 EDT

David Buller (not Butler) wrote: "..., the last name is "Buller" --
common mistake :-)"

Apologies. 2nd mistake I ever made.

David continued: "I don't see how "a wholly new creation of body & soul"
would necessarily be PC. God could have miraculously created Adam even
though he would be genetically identical to another human in that stage
of evolution. It might at first seem a little bit strange why God would
do this, but I think it makes sense. Perhaps God wanted Adam to live in
the Garden of Eden away from other humans so that he could independently
make his decision regarding the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil,
without the influence of others in the area. In other words, Adam could
have been separately created in order to isolate himself from the
influences from others in the monumental decision that he would face. In
this possibility, Adam would have not had biological parents."

To me, this has to be PC. I think we may disagree on definitions.

David continued: "Going back to the way that I phrased it before, I would
be interested in what you would see as a possible "gray area." By
definition, I would consider a soul something that passes on after death
and exists through eternity. If a human/man with a 1/4 formed "soul"
dies, where will he go (if anywhere)? If he does have an afterlife, than
he doesn't have a 1/4 formed soul, he has a complete soul. If he does
not have an afterlife, than he doesn't have a 1/4 formed soul, he has no
soul. "

You are expanding the issue to include an "afterlife." I want to keep the
focus narrow. Howsomeever -- will my lab "Blue" have an afterlife? Will
any animal? Will a 5,000,000 year ago Neanderthal? I am not prepared to
accept a categorical "no" to such questions, which is one reason I wish
to keep the focus narrow (I know -- that may not be possible).

David continued: "I'm wondering if you would consider the "gray area" to
be the religious tendencies in some early humans. Yet how can this be
considered partially on the way to having a soul? Is there some point
where man became "religious enough" that God decided that he would allow
their "spirit" to have an afterlife. If you cannnot reject a process
answer, I'd be interested in what you think the humans/men in the
"process" were like. Did they have an afterlife?"

"Yes" to your first question. But your expansion of the topic makes it
difficult (for me) to focus on the question. I'll try. My answer to your
last two sentences is "They were, in some ways, like us, more so as time
progressed. I see no reason to not suppose they would also have an
afterlife, in the same sense as my dog, or elephants, or almost any
sentient being (I draw the line at mosquitos).

jb