Re: [asa] Focus

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 18:15:19 EDT

Rich,

Not to necessarily defend this particular action, but I do have to
say that in some highly competitive graduate programs where there are
many many more applicants than available slots, it's not uncommon for
these kinds of discussions to take place. If all other things are
equal (GRE scores, grades, quality of undergraduate institution,
letters of recommendation, research experience) and there are still
limited slots, "focus" may indeed be a factor.

TG