[asa] Focus

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 13:21:27 EDT

 <http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/05/09/focus/>
Focus <http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/05/09/focus/>
*Sean<http://cosmicvariance.com/author/sean/>
* at 12:09 pm, May 9th, 2007

A true story.

I'm sitting on the graduate admissions committee for the physics department
at a major research university. Across the table, fellow committee member
Prof. A is perusing the file of an applicant who is on the bubble. Prof. A
turns to Prof. B next to him and says, "Did you see this one? The student
has a Masters degree in Divinity."

Now, you know me. Not really the Divinity-School type. But still, I'm
thinking, that's interesting. Shows a certain intellectual curiosity to
study religion and then move on to physics. There's some successful
tradition<http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/03/12/catholic-priest-proposes-new-model-for-creation/>there.

But Prof. A shakes his head slowly. "I would really worry about someone like
this, that they weren't devoted enough to doing physics."

Prof. B nods sagely in assent. "Yes, you have to be concerned that they just
don't have the focus to succeed."

The student didn't get in.