Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 10:45:19 EDT

At 09:05 AM 5/9/2007, Jack wrote:
>While I would agree with you George that God relates to each species
>in a way appropriate to it. I think it is clearly biblical to say
>that our species is spiritually unique.
>
>Instead of listing a bunch of passages supporting this I am just
>going to quote from the Westminster confession ( I know you and
>others do not submit to the confession) as summary of this doctrine.
>
> From WCF Chapter IV number II "AFTER God had made all the other
> creatures, he created man, male and female, with reasonable and
> immortal souls, after his own image, having the law of God written
> in their hearts, and power to fulfil it; and yet under a
> possibility of transgressing, being left to the liberty of their
> own will, which was subject to change."

@ I agree. Humans have "rights" because they also have
"responsibilities". (One of those responsibilities is to care for
God's dumb beasts with extreme kindness and respect, unlike the way
they treat each other.)

The confused pantheists/ panentheists/ gaias in the "animal
rights" (PETA) movement, etc., aren't willing --- or able --- to admit this.

"A wily Coon whiles away his time in the cosmic zone of truth -- the
natural Coon habitat -- and for this reason is the most useless of
all God's creatures.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0898702267/103-0073253-5764633?ie=UTF8&tag=onecosmos-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0898702267>Josef
Pieper writes that "Truth is the self-manifestation and state of
evidence of real things. Consequently, truth is something secondary,
following from something else. Truth does not exist for itself alone.
Primary and precedent to it are existing things, the real. Knowledge
of truth, therefore, aims ultimately not at 'truth' but, strictly
speaking, at gaining sight of reality."

Therefore, when we speak of "truth," we must add truth "of," since
different things are known in different ways. For example, material
objects are real -- i.e., they are antecedent to our knowledge of
them -- so understanding their truth involves aligning our minds with
their properties. But the truth of matter is very different from the
truth of man or the truth of God.

Or, you might say that matter speaks one way, while consciousness
speaks another.

And God speaks yet another way, although he is also, ultimately, the
basis of all the otherwise inexplicable "speaking" and "hearing" that
occurs at every level of being.

The idea that matter speaks its truth to human minds is weird enough.

Weirder still is that its particular mayafestations also speak to us
in very specific ways, something known to every poet, and without
which even good poetry would be impossible.

For example, rivers, mountains, oceans, wind, trees, seasons, storms
-- in fact, nature in general -- all of these material things whisper
their secrets -- their truth -- to the human soul (which is one way
we know we have one). If these were not "supernaturally natural"
symbols, much poetry could be written but not
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002LOI/103-0073253-5764633?ie=UTF8&tag=onecosmos-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000002LOI>Frankly
understood by frankophiles, such as when he sings ..." [snip]

...Now that I think about it, the radical environmental movement
probably represents what you might call a godless effort to preserve
this aspect of God's reality -- a sort of hollow memory of the
fullness of God's self-revelation. The environmentalist loves this
divine truth -- or one part of it -- but not the source of this
truth, which is to say, reality. Thus, he often slides into the
barbarism of pantheism, or at least becomes the functional equivalent
thereof. (Of course, I am speaking in generalities, as there are
obviously countless people who love nature but are not radical
environmentalists.)

Similarly, if we attempt to understand man in the same way we
understand matter, we will simply generate confusion and paradox. And
if we attempt to build a philosophy and a way of life around this
misunderstanding, we will create a human nightmare, for we will have
created a misanthropic world that is unfit for human habitation. This
is reason #847 that leftism is a waking nightmare, for not only does
it elevate matter to the ultimate, but it elevates our most primitive
way of knowing the world to the highest wisdom, which is no wisdom at
all. This would be reason enough to reject the radical atheists such
as Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkns, since they not only reject reality,
but declare war on man as such. Their's is truly a misosophy aimed at
the lowest and commonest demonimatter. ..." [snip]

~ Janice ...... On the Utter Uselessness of
Coons http://www.onecosmos.blogspot.com/ Tuesday, May 08, 2007