Re: [asa] Event or process

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 07:23:34 EDT

1) It may be that "event or process?" is a false dichotomy. In discussing the origin of consciousness (& perhaps by implication "soul"), Teilhard suggested the metaphor of a phase change. Heating a pan of water is a continuous process - the temperature of the liquid rises gradually. But when it reaches 100 C there's an abrupt qualitative change from liquid to vapor. (I'm sorry that I can't give an exact reference - some of my Teilhard books are loaned out.) Perhaps that kind of thing could be linked to the "Gene Mutation Linked to Cognition is Found Only In Humans" article which Rich Blinne posted yesterday.

2) The problem of "different degrees of 'soulness'" may not be that serious. If God's purpose for creation does indeed have "all things" in view & not just H. sapiens then
perhaps it's not necessary to find some way of isolating our species as spiritually unique. God relates to each species - & vice versa - in a way appropriate to it.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/