Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Jack <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 06:35:03 EDT

Clearly there is a biblical distinction between humans (man) and the
animals. Both however are given the breath of life (nephesh). So what is
the distinction?

In order to avoid the confusion between soul, and breath of life it might be
easier to focus on Imago Dei. What is this image of God, and when did it
come into existence?

My personal opinion is that there was an Adam at some point in our
evolutionary history, an modern homo sapiens, (Glenn would argue it was
earlier) that God selected out of his fellow creatures, and gifted with this
Imago Dei. When and where this happened I am not going to get into now, but
this was a singular event, and this marriage of material creature with this
other quality became God's supreme creation. I think that a typical way to
conceive of this is the immortal human soul. These creatures became
different than all of the other animals and other hominids, and remain
different than the rest of creation. These creatures are capable of
immortality unlike the other animals (and hominids). These creatures have
free will, and any other aspect that you might consider the image of God.