Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 22:17:44 EDT

Christine Smith wrote In other words, the development of the "soul" throughout evolution is the increasing ability to perceive/receive into ourselves God's characteristics--consciousness/self-awareness (the Great I AM), feelings/emotions (God is love), logic/reason (God created natural laws), creativity (God created, period!), and finally, morality/free will (God is the author of good/evil, makes choices, etc), which has come about both through God acting in/with/under a process and through God's overt actions at critical points in time. While I agree that development of spiritual awareness could have been a process, IMO there has to be a definite, discrete step at which God turned human into man. Otherwise there could be all different degrees of "soulness" existing at the same time. Once God had created Adam by breathing His spirit into him (Gen 2:7) then Adam passed on his awareness of God. IOW as a type of Christ, Adam served a similar role: making humans men by telling them about God. This is what I gather of Dick Fisher's view (corrrect me if I'm wrong, Dick) I don't hold this view as the definitive interpretation of Scripture -- just as a plausible explanation. Later on she writes (God is the author of good/evil, makes choices, etc), Most if not all Christian theologies explicitly state that God is not the author of evil. And I know you labeled it off topic, but I feel the need to respond to your comment that A potential implication in this line of logic is that those humans whose brains have not developed to the point of perceiving good/evil and exercising free will (infants/young children and severely mentally disabled) are incapable of sinning (like an animal is incapable of sinning), and therefore they are already saved (having never fallen, as it were) It may be that such individuals have not sinned. But there is the matter of election. Romans 9 says 10Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger."[d] 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[e] This is a hard doctrine we Presbyterians harp on. It's made a little easier IMO by something Calvin said: He said that a sign of election is a desire on the part of the individual to know Christ (or something like that) IOW no individual who truly wants to know Christ is going to be left out of the Kingdom. Well, this was labeled off topic, so this will be about enough. Maybe I haven't contributed constructively to this thread, but it is interesting, and I thought it would be good to point out some doctrinal problems from my point of view. Bill Hamilton William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D. 248.652.4148 (home) 248.821.8156 (mobile) "...If God is for us, who is against us?" Rom 8:31 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com