Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 22:22:44 EDT

Christine Smith wrote:
> Why the long process then? Why not an instant "boom"
> and here we are? As the study Bible at my church posed
> the question in Genesis Chapter 1--why, if God could
> have created the universe in an instant, did He choose
> to create it even in 6 days (process)? Being a
> geologist (and again, my prism metaphor being a lot
> like a mineral structure), I liken the process to that
> of metamorphism. God uses the laws of nature and the
> constraints/challenges of evolution (a.k.a. high heat
> and pressure), to form the truly precious gems of His
> creation--his souled creatures for whom He cares and
> loves.
By what absolute standard do we conclude that it wasn't (isn't) a
"boom"? Augustine started a great line of thought that your study Bible
follows. But it goes both ways. I've started thinking of this as
another of our clinging egocentricisms that we haven't yet deposed. We
know that space doesn't have some sort of absolute "center" (let alone
that we aren't it) and we now have no trouble standing on Galileo's
shoulders and thinking of all motion and position in relative terms
only. But we still tolerate a tyranny of one tiny region on the
logarithmic scale. We invent useful units (meters, kilograms,
seconds...) and size them to appropriate magnitudes such that they are
useful on scales of what we see as "ordinary" -- where we think all the
interesting action is, naturally. But if I were beam of light newly
emitted from primordial earth, the entire thing would (from that
perspective) erupt and dissipate in an instant (all those untold
billions of years we have so much trouble imagining -- gone... done...
geological deep history in a "blip") -- since time stops at the speed
of light and the traveled dimension collapses, I would cross the flat
universe in an instant, though it is billions of years to us. If I'm a
bit shaky while trying to clamber up to a perch on Einstein's shoulders
here, I trust others will correct me. Even so, imagine a timeless God's
perspective! Our exponential (logarithmic) scale of perception may
turn out to be just as relative and without conceptual "center" as our
linear space is. That should help us put six days in perspective.

To the stone mountain, or the star, we would be even less than the
buzzing insect that flares and is gone in an "instant". To the buzzing
insects, we ourselves could easily seem the unmoving, "permanent"
mountains of eternal longevity. What are we, God, that you are mindful
of us? Perhaps the answer can be -- we are specks of dust, and the
apple of God's eye at the same time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As you can see, the danger in doing
so is that someone else can pick up on just one thing you said and
prattle on at length about it. :->

--Merv