From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 13:19:04 EDT

I believe that Godel's incompleteness theorems do not support or
disprove the existence of a God. Godel's theorem is quite limited

<quote> For any consistent formal, computably enumerable theory
that proves basic arithmetical truths, an arithmetical statement that
is true but not provable in the theory can be constructed. That is,
any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary
arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete.</quote>

In other words, all it shows is that any such formal theory contains
at least one truth which cannot be proven to be as such. Nothing at
all about the need for a Mind of God etc. In fact, Godel's theorem
cannot be solved by just adding more and more complexity, even in
infinity, the problem still arises. Now this surely poses interesting
questions such as a if the mind is a turing machine then Godel's
theorem applies and thus there will be truths which we cannot prove to
be true. Of course completeness can be obtained at the cost of
consistency, or consistency comes at the cost of completeness, or
perhaps the mind is not a Turing machine.

As far as the concept of eternal, I believe the Greeks had Gods which
were not eternal, some were born, others died.

As to the God hypothesis addressed by Dawkins

<quote>there exists a super- human, supernatural intelligence who
deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it,
including us.</quote>

All in all, we can surely keep defining and redefining God to avoid
the arguments presented by Dawkins, or we may accept that the science
is unable to address the existence of God. But then we should also
reject the approach of ID to do exactly the opposite.

In other words, the solution to Dawkins argument is simple and
straightforward, deny him the opportunity to formulate a scientific
hypothesis of God. As long as Christians however inappropriately apply
science as a design detector, Dawkins argument will stand. Hence my
original statement that ID is scientifically vacuous and theologically
risky.