Re: [asa] Event or process

From: David Buller <bullerscience@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 18:46:33 EDT

Thanks for your reply.

On 5/7/07, Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com> wrote:

> David Butler observed:
>
> >>I do not at all see how a soul could be created by "a continuous
> function over a span of time." How could a human/man have a half of a
> soul? What would happen to a human/man that had a partially evolved soul
> when he died? If human is a "black area" and man is a "white area," I
> really do see any room for a "gray area." >
>
> I assume you left off a "not" in the last sentence.

Yes I did; thanks for pointing that out. By the way, the last name is
"Buller" -- common mistake :-)

> If an "event," then we must accept the fact that the parents had no soul
> and their offspring had one. Or -- the event was a wholly new creation of
> body & soul.
>
> ie. a "Progressive Creation."

I don't see how "a wholly new creation of body & soul" would necessarily be
PC. God could have miraculously created Adam even though he would be
genetically identical to another human in that stage of evolution. It might
at first seem a little bit strange why God would do this, but I think it
makes sense. Perhaps God wanted Adam to live in the Garden of Eden away
from other humans so that he could independently make his decision regarding
the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, without the influence of others
in the area. In other words, Adam could have been separately created in
order to isolate himself from the influences from others in the monumental
decision that he would face. In this possibility, Adam would have not had
biological parents.

I would not consider this PC because God, in creating Adam, was not
introducing any new biological components that were not already formed via
evolution. The biological side of Adam would have still been formed by
evolution, but this already evolutionarily formed nature would have been
divinely instilled, along with the soul, which was supernaturally created.

> I am not at a point where I can reject a process answer.

Going back to the way that I phrased it before, I would be interested in
what you would see as a possible "gray area." By definition, I would
consider a soul something that passes on after death and exists through
eternity. If a human/man with a 1/4 formed "soul" dies, where will he go
(if anywhere)? If he does have an afterlife, than he doesn't have a 1/4
formed soul, he has a complete soul. If he does not have an afterlife, than
he doesn't have a 1/4 formed soul, he has no soul.

I'm wondering if you would consider the "gray area" to be the religious
tendencies in some early humans. Yet how can this be considered partially
on the way to having a soul? Is there some point where man became
"religious enough" that God decided that he would allow their "spirit" to
have an afterlife. If you cannnot reject a process answer, I'd be
interested in what you think the humans/men in the "process" were like. Did
they have an afterlife?

-David Buller