From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 18:35:53 EDT

> As I have shown however, Dawkins argument is not presuming that
> materialism is true, on the contrary. Plantinga is arguing a clever
> strawman of his own creation here. Having read Dawkins, I do have to
> admit that I may have some advantage here.

Have you any idea how arrogant and presumptuous that sounds? You can't
claim to have an advantage over me because I also have read Dawkins (and
plenty of other people on the list have read him as well - how can you
presume that you're the only one who's read him properly??). I've read The
Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, River out of Eden, and, as of today
around 180 pages of The God Delusion, including the central chapter on "Why
God almost certainly does not exist". I arrived at precisely the same
conclusion as Plantinga independently - that the probability argument only
works if you treat God as part of the material universe. Dawkins wants to
show that God can only have arisen via an evolutionary process - a
completely ludicrous idea unless you insist that God is only a part of the
material universe.

You can't claim superiority because you've read Dawkins and I haven't. I've
read it with just as much care as you have, and I've come to a different
conclusion to you - that his argument is a load of baloney.

Others have pointed out your apparent brainwashing. I agree with them.

Iain