Re: [asa] Is There Disdain for Evangelicals in the Classroom?

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 11:27:55 EDT

  Rich Blinne wrote:

> The following was in today's Washington Post. For those of you who are
> on secular University campuses does the analysis at the bottom track
> with your experience?

I have spent my entire educational life in public secular institutions.
  I have never experienced any sense of prejudice or ridicule from
faculty based on my faith. I have also always been completely open
about my faith. It must also be remembered that being disagreed with
is not persecution. We should expect to be disagreed with, and
sometimes that disagreement will be very strong.

My perception is that the statement by Nelson below is largely correct.
  For many who are non-theists, or even those who are Christians outside
of the evangelical community, "evangelical" is associated with
fundamentalism, extreme right political views, and anti-science. In
other words, the views of a small subset of the Christian community has
effectively come to be identified with the term "evangelical" in the
popular mind. I am very often asked what I mean when I call myself an
evangelical -- because I do not fit with their preconceived picture. I
try hard to recover the historical meaning of the term and take it
back.

> Nelson, a professor of English at the University of Illinois at
> Urbana-Champaign, said the unfavorable feelings toward evangelical
> Christians probably have two causes: "the particular kind of R* Party
> activism that some evangelicals have engaged in over the years, as
> well as what faculty perceive as the opposition to scientific
> objectivity among some evangelicals."

Keith