[asa] Event or process

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 11:12:34 EDT

Something Terry Gray posted about 2 months ago, when I was defending some
of Glenn Morton's data has had me thinking about the TE vs PC (Theistic
Evolution vs Progressive Creation) world view.

(As a philosophy, I continue to favor a PC view, although I recognize (I
think) its problems. But that is not the point of this post.)

Terry argued, as I remember, that Glenn's data, which shows evidences of
humanity going back millions of years, is valid, but does not therefore
provide persuasive evidences that organisms back then were, in any sense,
"created in the image of God." In theological terms, they did not possess
souls. After all, some animals today (elephants, bears, etc.) also
possess some of these characteristics.

I think one of the points on this issue comes down to this question:

When the first humans were created by God, and infused with a soul, was
this an event -- or a process?

I am having difficulty posing the question coherently. I'll try again:

Was there a time in history when a soulless entity gave birth to an
entity with a soul (event)?

Or -- was the emergence of the soul a continuous function over a span of
time (process)?

I am aware that "soul" is not at all a scientific term, and this is not a
"scientific" question. I suspect that it is either a nonsense question or
one that cannot, by its nature, be answered.

Burgy

"The first key to wisdom is frequent questioning. For it is by doubting
that we come in enquiry and by enquiry we arrive at the truth." --
Abelard

www.burgy.50megs.com/scott.htm (Review of Eugenie Scott's EVOLUTION AND
CREATIONISM