Re: [asa] Is There Disdain for Evangelicals in the Classroom?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 21:03:18 EDT

For the past three years I taught at a college in the City University of New
York system. It's a very diverse, international school. There's a robust
Invervarsity presence as well as Chinese, Korean, and other Christian
groups. I never sensed any animus towards evangelicals there -- though I
understand there is a "philosophy of religion" course in the core curriculum
in which one of the profs is hostile to Christianity of any kind. Prior to
that, I was a visitor at a Catholic law school, where I'm rejoining the
regular faculty at the end of this semester. There's a bit of a tension
there; some of the faculty take the Catholic heritage very seriously and see
me, an evangelical, as a probably ally. Some of the faculty aren't entirely
comfortable with the school's heritage, and I think are a bit more wary.

As an aside, a friend of mine who is a church planter in Manhattan won't use
the word "evangelical" because of its political overtones. His experience
is that young Manhattanties equate "evangelical" with "religious right" and
won't listen to anything else he has to say if he self-identifies as
"evangelical."