Re: [asa] Fw: NYTimes.com: A Split Emerges as Conservatives Discuss Darwin

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 16:05:48 EDT

I enjoyed listening to the debate online at AEI. As I said, Arnhart
and Derbyshire were on fire, West was mostly reduced to complaining
how ID was being misunderstood and how evil Darwinism is and Gilder,
well... he just was...

The DI's return to the creationist argument that Darwinian theory is
somehow the root cause of all evil, is interesting as it underlines my
observation that ID has failed to produce any scientific arguments.

Derbyshire states it well elsewhere

<quote> My motivation, so far as I am aware, is my lifelong
fascination with science, the extreme scientific shoddiness of the
I.D. movement, and my indignation that the I.D. people should presume
to claim a place at the science table, when they don't deserve one.
The main reason they don't deserve one is that THEY DON'T DO ANY
SCIENCE. When I said this to Bruce Chapman, head of the Discovery
Institute, at a meeting with him and some I.D. honchos, he said: "Oh
yes we do!" and passed me a paper. Here is the paper.

    http://www.weloennig.de/DynamicGenomes.html

    Read it for yourself. I rest my case. The Discovery Institute has
been in business since 1991, the CSC (its most currently active
offshoot) since 1996. That's an aggregate 23 years, and this is all
the "science" they have to show or at any rate, this is a star paper
that the HMFIC likes to carry around to hand to people who accuse him
of not doing any science. What a bunch of frauds.

    Of course, if you press this point, the I.D. people say: "Oh, you
know, our people just can't get their stuff published in the science
journals because of prejudice." To which the response should be: "So
you have a big pile of scientific results written up over there at the
Institute, that you haven't been able to get published? Mind if I take
a look through them?"
</quote>

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2005/11/10-questions-for-derb.php